Eudora News and Information – www.eudorareporter.com
This Week in Eudora History, will take a look back at some of the people, places and events, that shaped the history of this fine community. We will look at “the week that was” from times past.
For the dates of June 22 to June 28:
June 27, 1918, 96 years ago
The draft call for the week included seven men from Eudora. John Liggett, Herman Trefz, Fred Frye, Frank Copp, Preston Roe, Henry Frye, and Clarence Gottstein were all to report in Lawrence at 7:45 p.m.
June 26, 1974, 40 years ago
The Eudora high school cheerleaders began an “Egg Sale” in order to raise funds for camp. The “sale” was actually just a way to get people to donate. The cheerleaders would go to one house and ask for an egg and then go next door to sell it.
June 28, 1984, 20 years ago
The Eudora city council overturned the ban on smoking at the local swimming pool. Smoking was in turn permitted in designated areas.
Compiled from the Glenn Wineinger Newspaper collection at the Eudora Area Historical Society
The Eudora Area Historical Society operates the Eudora Community Museum which is located in the former Nottingham Elementary School at 14th and Church Street. For more information about the Eudora Area Historical Society, you can find them on the City of Eudora’s website or check them out on Facebook.