Eudora News and Information – www.eudorareporter.com
This Week in Eudora History, will take a look back at some of the people, places and events, that shaped the history of this fine community. We will look at “the week that was” from times past.
For the dates of December 16 – December 22:
December 19, 2002, 10 years ago
City Administrator Mike Yanez at a City Council Meeting claimed the City could lose between $66,000 and $80,000 in the fiscal year 2003 budget because of a state-wide cut of $48 million in shared revenue to cities. Some of the remedies suggested for the loss of funds included new taxes or users fees from its general and capital improvement funds.
December 19, 1957, 55 years ago
Street signs have been furnished and installed at all intersections in Eudora through the efforts of the Eudora Lions Club, which have given the signs to the City as a Centennial and Christmas present. Funds to purchase the signs and pay for the materials for the signs and labor were obtained from the publication and sale of the Eudora Centennial Magazine.
December 21, 1911, 101 years ago
The Grammar basketball team of the Eudora City schools defeated the Weaver school team by a score of 38 to 6. The games was played at the Weaver basketball court.
Compiled from the Glenn Wineinger Newspaper collection at the Eudora Area Historical Society
The Eudora Area Historical Society operates the Eudora Community Museum which is located in the former Nottingham Elementary School at 14th and Church Street. For more information about the Eudora Area Historical Society, you can find them on the City of Eudora’s website or check them out on Facebook.