Pelzer fireCrews work a loading dock fire at HP Pelzer Sunday morning (photo by Managing Editor John Schulz)

Eudora News and

Fire crews were called to the scene of a structure fire at the HP Pelzer production facility located at 1201 Cardinal Drive on the east side of Eudora early Sunday morning.

The fire broke out around 8:30 AM and was first spotted by Eudora Police Officer Daniel Flick who was on routine patrol when he saw smoke coming from the building.

“I was driving east on K-10 and saw the smoke rising over the building and exited quickly to go investigate,” Flick said. “When I got here I could see flames coming from the loading dock.”   Flick said he alerted staff in the building of the fire and the two people on duty were quickly evacuated.


Firefighters extinguish a blaze at the loading docks of HP Pelzer Sunday morning

Fire crews from Eudora, Eudora Townshp, Wakarusa Township and Lawrence rushed to the scene and discovered that the fire at the exterior of the building. Further investigation inside of the building found that the fire had not reached the interior.  Crews extinguished the flames on the exterior and had the fire put out a few minutes after 9:00 AM.

The building, which according to the HP Pelzer website, is a manufacturing plant  producing molded urethane foam backed automotive floor carpets.

Eudora Fire Chief Ken Keiter and Eudora Township Fire Chief Mike Baxter said they could not determine a cause immediately following the fire.

“There is no obvious ignition point on the exterior of the building,” Keiter said. “It is possible that something with the truck that was parked there could have started the blaze.”

Keiter said that HP Pelzer staff informed him that a truck left the facility approximately two to three hours before the fire was reported. He said HP Pelzer staff were trying to track the truck down to make sure there was not some type of mechanical problem with the semi.

There is no word on damage estimates that they fire caused and if this will impact plant operations.  Fire investigators were being called in shortly after the fire was extinguished.

Print Friendly