Eudora News and Information – www.eudorareporter.com
Firefighters from Eudora City Fire, Eudora Township and Wakarusa Township Fire Departments were called to Eudora Middle School shortly after Noon Wednesday when a fire alarm sounded at the school building. The school building was evacuated with the alarm.
According to Eudora City Fire Chief Ken Keiter, crews quickly discovered that a battery pack in an emergency lighting system had overheated and sparked a fire. He said that crews were quickly able to extinguish the blaze after cutting the electricity to the affected system.
Keiter stated that crews spent approximately 30 minutes clearing the smoke and making sure there was no further danger to students or staff. After the Fire Department gave the all clear, students and staff were allowed back into the building to resume classes.
Keiter reported that there were no injuries associated with the fire.