Could a Pedestrian Bridge be possible over K-10?
Eudora News and Information – www.eudorareporter.com
The South Side of Eudora is going to see some changes in 2013. This Spring, the city will construct a new park in the land just south of Eudora Middle School and north of the Shadow Ridge Housing Development.
The Eudora School District will lease the section of the land to the City for $1.00 per year (yes a single dollar). The School District and the City approved the lease agreement for the land at their respective meetings in the last week to make the park possible.
The Parks and Rec Department will oversee construction and maintain Shadow Ridge Park. The City plans on spending $150,000 to construct the park. The city, to protect their investment, would be able to recover their original investment in the park (with a depreciation schedule) from the District if the District were to terminate the lease.
Also, the School District was awarded a Sunflower Foundation grant to install a walking trail from the Middle School to the High School. This walking trail will be 8 feet wide and allow both walkers and bike riders to share the path. The City of Eudora worked to obtain a $25,000 grant from the Sunflower Foundation to help pay for the trail. According to city officials, the plan is to eventually extend the trail past the high school as more grant money becomes available.
Finally, and definitely the most ambitious project, is one where the city is seeking to build a pedestrian bridge across K-10. The proposed bridge will start at the end of Elm Street on the north side of K-10 and terminate near Eudora Animal Hospital.
The cost of the bridge is approximately $1.8 million and the city is looking to obtain a grant from the KDOT Transportation Enhancement Program to pay 80% of the costs. The remaining 20% plus associated costs total nearly $470,000, would be paid for by the City of Eudora.
Collin Bielser, Economic Development Director for the city and spearhead of the project, stated in multiple presentations to various groups, that there is no planned tax increase to fund the project.
The City is looking for support from the public to help secure the grant application. There are three public forums planned to help educate the public about the proposed project and what citizens can do to help with obtaining the grant. Thursday evening at the Eudora High School Performing Arts Center, Bielser will be showing the presentation for all that are interested. The Second Forum will be on Thursday, January 24 in the Eudora Elementary School Library and the final presentation will be on Thursday, January 31 at Eudora City Hall. All three presentations will begin at 7:00 PM.
You can go to the cities website HERE to find out more information about the project and fill out a brief survey that will help leaders urge KDOT to assist with the grant. The website also has detailed information on how residents can write a letter in support of the grant application.