On Sunday December 6, Holy Family Catholic Church in Eudora officially opened the doors to the new church they built at 8th and Birch St. Archbishop Joseph Naumann, head of the Kansas City Kansas Archdiocese, presided over the church dedication ceremony in front of a packed house.
The church has been under construction since September of 2015 and is expected to serve the Catholic community in Eudora, De Soto and Linwood for many years to come.
The new church features works done by artisans both locally and around the world. Much of the artwork was done by local artist Jeannie Pflumm and carpenter Randy Eaton made the alter base and many other tables and altar pieces. The Stations of the Cross came from Spain while the crucifix hanging above the altar was crafted in Italy.
In every Catholic Church, a relic of a saint is placed in the altar. The new altar at Holy Family features a relic of St. Philippine Rose Duchesne, a Catholic nun who ministered to the Potawatomi tribe in eastern Kansas in the 1840’s. Duchesne was canonized a saint by Pope John Paul II in 1988.
For all those that want to see the inside of the church, an open house will be held on Sunday, December 27 from 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM. Attendees will have the opportunity to look around the new worship center and the newly christened Rev. Pat Riley Religious Education Center to be located in the lower portion of the new building.