720 Main Street, the Trefz Building
The historic property at 720 Main Street in Eudora recently became the fourth property in the Eudora area to be included with the Kansas Register of Historic Places. The property’s historic name is the Seybold Building, but today it is commonly referred to as the Trefz Building. The property is currently owned by the Eudora Area Historical Society (EAHS). The EAHS is currently rehabilitating the property for future use as the Eudora Community Museum.
The property at 720 Main Street can trace its origins to the 1870s. In the early 1870s, a portion of the building was first constructed by John A. Seybold, a tinsmith and immigrant from Germany. The building subsequently housed Seybold’s tinshop. In the 1870s and the 1880s the building expanded and took on its current configuration. The building was also divided into two properties at this time, 720 and 722 Main Street. The building housed hardware stores in the late 19th century and the Eudora Post Office. The Trefz family acquired the property in 1920 and operated various businesses from it until the late 20th century.
The other properties in the Eudora area on the State Register of Historic Places:
- The Eudora State Bank Building (707 Main Street), added to the State Register in 2012.
- The B’nai Israel Jewish Cemetery. Added to the State Register in 2012 and the National Register in 2013.
- The Pilla House at 614 Main Street, listed on both the State and National Registers since 1974.
Eudora has many additional historic properties that would qualify for the State and/or National Registers. When properties are added to the State and/or National Registers it helps preserve the history of this region. Furthermore, property owners can also benefit from their property being listed on the State and/or National Register through a tax credit program.