927_Church_StreetFirefighters spent four hours battling a house fire on Church Street in midtown Sunday morning (photo by Eudorareporter.com Managing Editor John Schulz) 

 

Eudora News and Informationwww.eudorareporter.com

Crews from around the region were called to the scene of a house fire at 927 Church Street in midtown Eudora shortly after 9:00 AM Sunday morning.

City crews were first on the scene and discovered the house fully involved in the fire. Personnel from Eudora Township, Wakarusa Township and Lawrence arrived moments later to help fight the flames.

Owner Eric Quisenberry said he had left around 7:30 AM and returned when he received a phone call alerting him to the fire.

“I got a call from brother telling me the house was burning and I got back here as quickly as I could,” Quisenberry said.  “I’m just glad no one was home and my neighbors were safe.”

Quisenberry said that while he had no idea how to proceed, he did have family and his parents in the area to stay with at least temporarily.

Eudora Fire Chief Ken Keiter said that five fire fighters were overcome by heat related illness due to the fire and the humid weather conditions. One of the five was taken by fire personnel to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment and the other four were treated on scene. A sixth fire fighter was injured when they fell down the stairway of the house which was loaded with debris from the fire. The firefighter was transported via ambulance to LMH.  The extent of the firefighters injuries were unknown, but Keiter said he expected all six firefighters would be okay.

firefighters_927_Church

A second alarm was called in approximately two hours after the first reports of the fire and crews from Baldwin City arrived to assist as many of the first responders were overcome by the heat.

Shortly after Baldwin City arrived on scene, the fire was said to be under control and multiple crews spent another two hours putting out hot spots and smoldering debris.

There were no immediate reports of the cause of the fire. Firefighters said it appeared to have started in the back portion of the house where Quisenberry said the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room were located. Quisenberry said he had started his dryer shortly before leaving Sunday morning.  State and local fire investigators were on scene and expected to spend a remainder of the afternoon on site trying to determine the exact cause.

Fire officials estimate that the house is likely a total loss.

Print Friendly
Share

3 Responses to Fire destroys home on Church Street

  • That was the Hunt home at one time. Annette and Lee Hunt lived there. I had a lot of fun there and lots of me,ories

  • Ooops. I goofed on owners of home at 927 Church Street!! It was the Keyser house. My friend Betty lived there – again many fun me ories there as well.