Eudora News and Information – www.eudorareporter.com
Firefighters were called to the scene of a small kitchen fire on Monday morning. According to the Eudora Fire Department, they received a call around 5:00 AM Monday of a house fire in the 900 block of Pine Street. Crews from Eudora, Eudora Township, Wakarusa Township and Lawrence arrived on scene to discover the family of the residence waiting outside.
“The family was awakened by the smoke detectors going off right away,” Eudora Fire Department Chief Ken Keiter said. “It really goes to show that working smoke detectors can save lives.”
Keiter said they determined the cause of the fire was due to a frying pan on the stove. The family had left the pan, which Keiter said contained a fair amount of grease on the stove from dinner the night before. Damage from the fire was limited to the kitchen area and was estimated to be approximately $1000.
“By the time we arrived on scene the fire was pretty much out already,” Keiter stated. “We extinguished the fire quickly and then worked at ventilating the house to get rid of the smoke that had built up.”
Keiter urged that residents should regularly check their smoke detectors and change their batteries in a timely manner to keep them in proper working order. He also added that the Eudora Fire Department is working on a grant so that the Fire Department can once again help low income and elderly citizens with obtaining and installing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in their place of residence. Keiter said he hoped to have details soon about this program.