Eudora News and

The City of Eudora has hired Bill Edwards as the new Police Chief.  Edwards is currently the Chief of Police in Park City, KS which is just north of Wichita.

Prior to Edwards tenure in Park City, which began in 2007, he served as a Major of Operations with the Kansas City Kansas Police Department for 32 years.

Interim Police Chief Dave Burger, who coordinated the search process for a new Chief, was very excited about the new hire.

“Spending nearly three months in Eudora, I’ve met many members of the community and have come to know and respect all of the members of the Eudora Police Department,” Burger said. “From my perspective, Eudora has hit a home run with this hire.  Bill Edwards is a true caring professional who will effectively lead the police department for years to come.”

Edwards was among 120 applicants for the position of Police Chief. The selection process included  interviews before a citizen panel, law enforcement panel, department heads, the city administrator, and a meet and greet with the Eudora Police Officers.

Jason Hoover, Executive President of Kaw Valley State Bank, who was on the citizen interview panel, thinks highly of Edwards.

“Bill’s resume and experience speaks for itself, after meeting him in person, I am confident he is the right man for the job and our community in the role of Police Chief.”

Sheriff Ken McGovern and Lawrence Police Chief Tarik Khatib also participated on the law enforcement panel that interviewed Edwards.

“The law enforcement panel believes Bill Edwards brings vast knowledge and professionalism to the Eudora Police Department,” McGovern stated.  “The Douglas County Sheriff’s office looks forward to working with Bill to assist him in the transition process as well as continue our good working relationship with the Eudora Police Department.”

Edwards first day on the job will be December 17.  Interim Chief Dave Burger will continue to serve in a transition role until January 1.

Edwards was hired to replace former Eudora Police Chief Grady Walker who resigned in August.

Print Friendly