Eudora News and Information – www.eudorareporter.com
This past weekend, a friend mentioned to me that he had not seen much news lately about the City Commission. My response was that the Commission has to act on something to have news about the Commission. We did some research and tallied up the City Commission agenda’s From January 13, 2014 to March 10, 2014. There were 9 business items from those 5 meetings. One meeting (March 10) had no business items.
All nine items from this year were what we refer to a “maintenance items”. Three quick examples of those items are approving a budget calendar, purchasing a bucket truck, and a waiver of CPA Park fees for a charitable organization. Most maintenance items have minor discussion at best and are passed.
Tonight’s meeting will change those figures a little bit. There are seven items on the Commission agenda for Monday night. That will almost double what the Commission the number of items the Commission has considered this year.
– Consider Proclamation declaring April Autism Month
– Consider Proclamation declaring April Arbor Month
– Consider Proclamation recognizing C-Hawkk
– Consider citizen request to raise chickens within city limits – Kelly & Ryan Johnson
– Consider request to use CPA Park for 2014 charity event – Debbie Carden
– Consider Ordinance 1015 revising City Cemetery Regulations
– Consider maintenance contract for Well #9
In all fairness to the Commission members, they have held some work sessions with City Staff on various topics which lead up to a couple of decisions that may be made tonight. There are some other possibilities that could come in the future also, so our tax money on their salaries is not being wasted. It’s just nice to finally see some agenda items.
The City Commission meeting is held on the 2nd and 4th Monday of the month in the City Commission Chambers at City Hall, 4 East 7th Street. The meetings begin at 7:00 PM. The public is invited to attend.